Tuesday 30 August 2011

Advanced pro - 4th week assignment

Ok, bare with me 'cause this is a little longer that usual!.
This was a funny assignment for me. I started with a set idea and it sort of changed half way through the shoot. Let me explain. My oldest and deepest obsession is the passage of time, even when i was little i used to get really upset about thinking how we all get old and when we die and all the people that knew us die as well, it's as if we had never existed. Very cheerful stuff, I know! I guess I was a bit of an Adams family kid! 

Anyway, I thought that it would be interesting to see if I could  somehow express this obsession through photography. I went to my grandparents' house. My grandmother died a few years ago and since then, it's as if time had stop in their house. 


This is my beloved grandad. He has Alzeimer's. He can't talk or move much anymore. For the last six years we have been slowly loosing him. I thought he would be the perfect subject for my assignment. The passage of time, an illness that makes you forget about that time that has passed, the man he used to be staring at him from the picture on the wall... So I started taking pictures.

But something happened while i was taking them. Someone walked in the room and his face suddenly changed. This is Mari. She is the lady that helps take care of my grandad when my mother and her siblings are at work.  She feeds him, bathes him, takes care of him and, most importantly, gives him joy and affection. She left her own family in Bolivia to come to Europe to work and be able to send a little money back home. Thousands of women like her travel half way round the world to take care of our elderly or our children as if they were their own. Yes, it is her job, but it's a hard job and she does it with a smile and, best of all, puts a smile in my grandad's face. And for that she is my inspiration.  



13 comments:

Unknown 31 August 2011 at 05:19  

These photos are amazing! Absolutely beautiful!!!

Virginia 31 August 2011 at 06:48  

I am SO moved by your photos - they have really touched me as your situation is SO close to what is happening in my extended family now.

Jill 31 August 2011 at 09:34  

I love your photos and I love the story you have written along with it, very moving.

Rebecca 31 August 2011 at 12:35  

These made me cry. What beautiful images and it really captures your grandfathers amazing spirit. Breathtaking!

Barbara 3 September 2011 at 14:14  

so beautiful as well as your assignment.

Erika Rodrigues 3 September 2011 at 14:57  

Absolutely fantastic. Loved the story said by your photography and own words.

Mindy 3 September 2011 at 16:11  

You made me fall in love with your granddad and with Mari. Beautiful photos and words.

cynthia gayle 3 September 2011 at 16:45  

So beautiful! And the back story is so touching! I take care of a 92 year old blind woman so this story has special meaning to me. Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer Chaney 3 September 2011 at 17:10  

This brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely beautiful and inspiring.

Jessica Cudzilo 4 September 2011 at 08:44  

Breathtaking! Truly so so beautiful.

Vanessa 5 September 2011 at 18:01  

This post is just wonderful! Your images are so touching.

Just Rhonda 6 September 2011 at 06:08  

Wonderful, wonderful images and story!!

Anonymous 10 September 2011 at 17:55  

I weep. This is beautiful.

About This Blog

Popular Posts

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP